Tuesday, July 3, 2012

VK Lynne Presenta: Vita Nova

VITA NOVA

Here with you!!!

by VK Lynne/Darkzen


Vk said:

I guess I’ve always had to do things the hard way.

And not from any desire to make my life hard….But I think sometimes we’re too ‘hard’ on the hard way. The easy way may be painless in the moment…but you’re going to have a lifetime of living with the often shoddy results of that moment- and to me, that’s a harder option.

For example, I’d rather have fewer friends, for the right reasons, who will be there for me years from now, then have a lot of friends, for the wrong reasons, who will disappear when the fair weather grows cloudy.

I’d rather put time and respect into a lifetime relationship than have quick flings that require no commitment but would inevitably leave me feeling hollow.

And I’d rather make the music that I believe in, in a nontraditional way, that may never make me a star, than treat my gift like a job for the quick buck today and not know the person in the mirror tomorrow.

That’s how I ended up writing music from Hollywood with a person in Milan who I’ve never been on the same continent with.

Making music is a mercurial thing…and for me, it’s hard to make GOOD music with just anybody. There needs to be a connection…a shared sensibility, in one way or another. When I found that in Federico, I knew that a little thing like distance wasn’t going to stop us from collaborating.

Thank God for Skype. Even though the 9-hour time difference is a bitch and a half, it has allowed us to have lengthy discussions about music, our lives, and the people we are behind the songs we write- so we can do the best work possible together.


For years, I’ve been advised, encouraged, pressured, cajoled, even ORDERED by various well-meaning (and not-so-well-meaning) entities to just “stop being so stubborn and sing some commercial pop music so we can all make money”.

Well, it’s a new day.

In it, I’m drowning out the voices of dissent with the new fruits of my stubbornness…And epic fruits they are!

In it, I have a new way of thinking, ignoring the disapproval of people who will never understand what I’m doing…or why.

And in it, I have a new way of working, of creating solutions to challenges that I never had before and realizing that doors open once you stop assuming they’re locked.
So in fact, it’s more than a new day…It’s a Vita Nova.


Interview by Darkzen:

What was the inspiration to form this group??? for both

(Federico) I think it's been a very natural decision, once we saw how we could develop our ideas together. We both like challenges and what we're trying to do is really unconventional, after all it's only music... There are boundaries only where you want to see them, especially in this century. The combination of different roots and different experiences has always given good results in human history, so why not to try something that could be even unexpected?

(VK) Exactly. An added benefit was that, for me, this whole process was also a creative solution to a practical problem. I had these symphonic metal musical ideas, but was really struggling to find musicians in Los Angeles with a similar vision. Vita Nova’s formation eliminated the need to limit myself to collaborators/band members in California…or the US, for that matter!

we want to prove with this album??

(Federico) We want to prove that music doesn't know boundaries nor distance. The truth is that, as I was saying, it's a matter of how you make music and I personally believe that nowadays a project like Vita Nova is absolutely possible. Technology helps a lot, of course, it wouldn't be possible to work so easily from different continents without internet, e-mail, skype...

(VK) I hope it inspires the industry to start embracing outside-the-box thinking.  On my end, this project is probably the very last thing people expected of me…But that’s kind of my M.O.;)
In today’s artistic climate, the ‘music industry model’ has become so different from what it was for decades, that artists are just trying to find their footing, and we’re losing the sense of risk-taking that used to be a hallmark of rock and roll. So I’m happy that we can put Vita Nova out there as some risky business;).

Vita Nova conveys that with every song???

(Federico) All the songs are a series of processes between VK and I, it doesn't really matter who had the first idea. I mean, we have different roles in the project. We work as a team, so basically each one of us must be very focused on what he's working on, but I think this is the real strength of a project of its kind.

(VK) Yes. And neither of us is afraid to send the other back to the drawing board. We have the same vision, and we want it be the best we can produce.

Lisa Middelhauve involved in this album???

(Federico) We'd love to work again with her, but for this album we already had so many requests of featuring and participations... Maybe in the future, who knows?

who composed the songs for both???

(Federico) We're open to all the possibilities: for most of the songs, the process starts with an mp3 recorded by VK, vocals and guitar or only vocals. What I do is to set up the harmony, give the song a structure and a basic arrangement. Then, VK normally re-records her vocals and other parts (if the songs requires any featuring, she writes all the vocal parts). But this is not the rule, we have a song that I started writing and VK completed with vocals, and basically we both always suggest changes for what we want to be better. 

(VK) Indeed- and to Federico’s credit, he is always open to whatever wild thing I throw at him. One of the songs on the EP, Taking on the World…I knew it was ambitious when I sent it, but he attacked it with enthusiasm. On Skype, he did raise an eyebrow at me about it; but I knew if anyone could make that insanity come to life, it was him!:)


the artwork, which means???

(Federico) A girl, a mountain, crystalline water. It's the image of a new life: there's a magic halo over the whole landscape, that sort of halo you can imagine in all the new situations of life. It reflects also our music, which is introspective and reflexive.

(VK) It was done by Josué Galvan in Mexico, which adds another country to our Benetton advertsiement of a project!

who are all members of the group???

(Federico) VK and I decided to base all the "instrumental section" in Italy so that recordings would have been a little bit easier to manage. Tony Corizia (bass) comes from the U.S. and now lives in Italy, we work together from several years and I think he's an incredible bassist, a groove machine. Thomas D'Alba (drums) is Deva's drummer, so we share both the projects. With me, as co-producer, also SteelNight Studios' sound engineer Lorenzo Ardoni follows all the production. I'm very satisfied with this line-up because, once again, everyone knows very well his own role and it's avery professional team, even if each one of us is moved by passion for music and much enthusiasm.


which is the opinion of working with you to Kerstin, Grace, Maxi and lliana??

(Federico) I must say that these girls are lovely. And most of all, they give the best they can. The nice thing is that each one of them comes with her own technique, inflection, feeling. So when I listen to the tracks I immediately recognize the personal way of singing, that little things you'll have only from that singer: that vibrato, that pronounce, that softness, that fullness... I still remember the goosebumps I had while I was listening for the first time to Kerstin Bischof's recordings of the song "Vita Nova". After her, we had the chance to work with Maxi Nil, IlianaTsakiraki and Grace Meridan. It's been a surprise to see how they have all been happy to participate, during their recordings (and also after) there have been lots of e-mails and messages, they wanted to check with me how the song was growing up, how their recordings were interacting with the others. That's simply great, I am very grateful to these singers. I wish I could tell you the next names but they're still secret at the moment, we'll be ready to reveal them very soon!

(VK) Also, this has led to some wonderful friendships for me; we had the original connections through Eve’s Apple and working on Vita Nova has only made them stronger.

any plan to tour Latin America??

(Federico) It's one of our dreams. Or should I say it's one of our targets? To be honest, for the moment it's early to think about touring, since we're working on the first releases and we want to see what reactions we'll receive. The first impressions are very positive, much more than how I was expecting, so you never know... But I truly hope for a giant tour in Latin America, sooner or later!

(VK) TARGETS!! I’m always thinking too far ahead, but it’s part of my charm, lol. I cannot wait to get this whole diverse crowd together on one stage to perform. In fact, some of the girls have expressed interest in coming along as well….;)

plan to do another music video??

(Federico) We're thinking about it, we have a lot of ideas too. We're now planning a lot of things, all the Vita Nova project is something that is growing day by day... I wasn't ready to all this interest from media, fans, people from all over the world, in so little time! But yes, we're also thinking about a new video! 

(VK) Indeed. Living in Hollywood offers the advantage of having filmmakers all around me, including my husband who is a director/editor. So much like the sonic aspects of Vita Nova, visually, anything is possible!

VK and friends thank you very much for your time!

the last words are all yours for Rock & Metal World Magazine and FemaleMetal.com its loyal readers!

(Federico) Thank you guys, your support is precious! You rock!!

(VK) Yes; we cannot express enough our appreciation for the people who’ve brought such an open mind and open heart to this project! And stick with us- we’ll keep living on the edge if you will!;)


thanks 
Darkzen



1 comentarios:

Post a Comment